Sunday, March 22, 2009

dim sum

our friends from japan took us to old shanghai for the first time, and now it's the go-to spot, especially when folks come into town. go with as many hungry people as possible, to ensure variety and a lazy susan. and definitely get:

(1) tan tan noodle soup (noodles with meat in a spicy, peanuty soup)


(2) shanghai soup dumplings with pork


(3) green onion pancake


(4) pan-fried pork buns


(5) veggie dumplings (if you must). actually, despite my primary devotion to all things pork, these mushrooms-and-greens-filled dumplings are pretty tasty.

2 comments:

  1. Love the "experiment" RK.

    I believe that this recipe by Ming Tsai is very similar to the green onion pancakes from old shanghai. I haven't tried the recipe but it looked easy on Ming's television show, Simply Ming.

    http://www.ming.com/simplyming/recipes/Season6/605_ShallotPancakes.html

    Ming’s cookbook by the same name has been a go to cookbook at my house for three years. Highly recommended.

    Best,
    Evan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often dream of tan tan noodle soup after RK and TK introduced it to us in February. I both love and hate the fact that I now know it exists, but don't know where to get it in my hometown.

    ReplyDelete